Howto distribute key signatures

Daniel Roesen droesen@entire-systems.com
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:33:49 +0100

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 08:16:58PM +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
> After they have checked my ID and signed the key, how should it be added
> to the keyservers so that when someone gets my key from the keyserver,
> they'd get the other peoples' signatures too?

They just upload their signed version of your public key to one of
the public keyservers. The keyserver merges their signatures into
the key already being on the keyserver (if it was there already -
otherwise the pubkey would be created on the keyserver) and you can
fetch your pubkey from the keyserver network to merge their
signatures in your local copy of your pubkey.

> One of them sent me my public key encrypted to me but I assume he didn't
> do this right because the key inside was identical to my own.

There's no need to send the pubkey encrypted. And yes, he must have
done s.th. wrong if the pubkey he sent you didn't contain any sigs
from him.

Bests regards,
Daniel