US export compliance

Anthony E . Greene agreene@pobox.com
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 23:43:45 -0500

On Tue, 09 Jan 2001 22:02:33 L. Sassaman wrote:

>On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Rich wrote:
>
>> It's not required since it is not a product of the US.
>
>The question is still valid, I believe, if he wants to export it from US
>computers.
That doesn't pass the common sense test, but it's still true. I seem to remember there being an exemption for software that meets certain conditions of being widely available, free, and in source code form. In fact, the very existence and non-U.S. origin of GNUPG had something to do with that provision being included in the regulations. Still, if you're a business, I'd consult a lawyer. It might be easier to provide an easy download mechanism in your product. Tony -- Anthony E. Greene <agreene@pobox.com> <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/> PGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26 C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D Chat: AOL/Yahoo: TonyG05 ICQ: 91183266 Linux. The choice of a GNU Generation. <http://www.linux.org/> -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org