US export compliance

Michael H. Warfield mhw@wittsend.com
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:43:29 -0500

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 12:07:00PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:

> "Greatorex, Anthony" <greatore@ugsolutions.com> writes:

> > Has anyone submitted GnuPG for export compliance approval to
> > the U.S. Department of Commerce?

> I don't think this is possible. You can obtain an export license for
> strong cryptography nowadays, but this license isn't bound to the
> software, but to the company that applied for this license.
Besides... It isn't necessary for OpenSource software anyways. The primary download site has to notify BXA that there is crypto software on the site and that's all. No need for T-7 (Terrorist 7) country screening, no need for mirror sites to register, and (now) both the sources and the binaries derived from the sources are deregulated. Source have been clear for almost a year now and binaries for about half that.