depreciated algorithm question

Trevor crossetj@net-ronin.org
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:12:45 -0800

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 10:37:25AM -0800, tompoe wrote:

> Hello: I downloaded gnupg 1.0.4 along with security patch1.diff. I ran an
> encryption and signature on a file and this message came up:
> gpg: this cipher algorithm is depreciated; please use a more standard one!
>
> I am not sure what this message means. Does anyone know what file I can look
> in for its origin, or better, where to point me to learn about this message?
> Thanks, Tom
> P.S. Just joined as I am sending this, so, be patient with me, and know I'll
> run a search on the archives here real soon, as well. :-)

Wrong order. Search first then ask.
>From the FAQ available at http://www.gnupg.org/faq.html
** 6.13) With 1.0.4, I get "this cipher algorithm is deprecated ..." If you just generated a new key and get this message while encrypting, you've witnessed a bug in 1.0.4. It uses the new AES cipher Rijndael that is incorrectly being referred as "deprecated". Ignore this warning, more recent versions of gpg are corrected. ** It has been fixed in CVS and the next release will incorporate this. A -very- quick search of the list archives gives a patch if you don't want to ignore it. Go to http://lists.gnupg.org/gnupg-announce-200010/msg00003.html. HTH Trevor -- Archive is at http://lists.gnupg.org - Unsubscribe by sending mail with a subject of "unsubscribe" to gnupg-users-request@gnupg.org