effects and incompatibilities between GPG1.0.6 and PGP CKT 06

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Tue Jul 10 09:50:02 2001

On 09 Jul 2001 00:25:11 +0200, Florian Weimer said:

> I think you can participate even if you aren't an official member
> (whatever the requirements are for that). I think this is part of the
> idea of the IETF standardization process.
Indeed, there is no official membership. A Working Group is just a WG doing its work mainly using a mailing list. There are even no restrictions on attendance of an IETF meeting. The IETF is not like ANSI or ISO and this one big reason that the Internet does work.
>From rfc2028:
For all purposes relevant to the Internet Standards development process, membership in the IETF and its Working Groups is defined to be established solely and entirely by individual participation in IETF and Working Group activities. Participation in the IETF and its Working Groups is by individual technical contributors rather than by formal representatives of organizations. Anyone with the time and interest to do so is entitled and urged to participate actively in one or more IETF Working Groups and to attend IETF meetings which are held three times a year. In most cases active Working Group participation is possible through electronic mail alone. Internet video conferencing is also being used to allow for remote participation. -- Werner Koch Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur g10 Code GmbH et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est. Privacy Solutions -- Augustinus