effects and incompatibilities between GPG1.0.6 and PGP CKT 06

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Tue Jul 10 09:56:02 2001

On 09 Jul 2001 00:17:46 +0200, Florian Weimer said:

> Ah, I see. These versions have a questionable legal state.
To say it very mildly.
> It is, of course. It's probably even a registered trademark in quite
> a few counries.
And the reason why GnuPG is not even called gpg.
> PGP 2.3a et al. were relased by 'Phil's Pretty Good Software'.
And it adheres to his interpretation of the GPL.
> Mr. Zimmerman probably sold the trademark together with his other
> rights.
He did and I assume that he is now a bit sorry that NAI uses the respected name PGP for a lot of other things which might not be connceted to privacy at all. -- Werner Koch Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur g10 Code GmbH et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est. Privacy Solutions -- Augustinus