compiling on solaris2.6, sparc, using cc

David Champion dgc@uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 8 18:43:01 2001

On 2001.06.08, in <8766e7x7ip.fsf@alberti.gnupg.de>,
	"Werner Koch" <wk@gnupg.org> wrote:

> || On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 11:38:41 -0400 (EDT)
> || Chris Drumgoole <cdrum@engin.umich.edu> wrote:
>
> cd> Hello,
> cd> I am trying to compile version 1.06 on a Solaris 2.6 machine (sparc) using the sun compiler cc.
>
> Is this a Standard-C compiler or a crippled old K&R one? In the
> latter case you should install gcc - GnuPG requires a Standard C
> compiler (aka ANSI-C)
It's standard. Only SunOS 4.x came with the K&R cc. SunOS 5.x simply doesn't come with one, since there's no inherent need for it. It's not so different from now, if you think in the right terms. The standard compiler has always cost extra; you just used to be able to get away with using the kernel compiler if your code was limited enough. :) -- -D. dgc@uchicago.edu NSIT University of Chicago