Character set problems

Magnus B{ckstr|m b@etek.chalmers.se
Wed Jun 13 10:44:01 2001

Nevermind, y'all!

What I stumbled upon is that gpg correctly uses utf8 encoding,
which apparently nobody else does.  I propose the following
addition to the FAQ list:

* 6.17  Why do my national characters go wrong when using other
        software?  My name looks funny and isn't found by searches
        on the keyserver.

        GnuPG encodes user id strings (and other things) using UTF-8.
        In this encoding, most national characters get encoded as
        two- or three-byte sequences.  For example, å (0xE5 in
        ISO-8859-1) becomes å (0xC3, 0xA5).

Magnus