Mac OS RNG

Gordon Worley redbird@rbisland.cx
Fri Jun 22 14:11:02 2001

At 12:42 PM +0200 6/22/01, Werner Koch wrote:

>I guess that rndunix is used under Mac OS. Has anyone checked that
>this yields reasonable random? Same goes for cygwin, where I am
>pretty sure that it won't yield and unpredicatable random.
rndunix doesn't yield anything reasonably random (it's so unrandom that just the casual observer can see the patterns), which is why egd is being used. egd passes it's self test on OS X and I've had no trouble with it. FYI, egd is automatically installed with the OS X binary release I do, but I'll add it to the HOWTO on building. -- Gordon Worley http://www.rbisland.cx/ mailto:redbird@rbisland.cx PGP Fingerprint: C462 FA84 B811 3501 9010 20D2 6EF3 77F7 BBD3 B003