Do not use GnuPG under Mac OS RNG

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Mon Jun 25 22:43:02 2001

 || On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 15:50:52 +0200
 || Sebastian Hagedorn <Hagedorn@spinfo.uni-koeln.de> wrote:

 sh> understand the issue correctly. This concerns only the generation of
 sh> keys, right? Using keys generated on a different platform is therefore
 sh> safe(r)?

No.  You will always have a weak session key but this is not so
important.  When using any of the DLP algorithm (ElGamaland especially
DSA) you will leak information about the secret key.

 sh> Also, what can be done to fix this? Are there libraries the end user
 sh> could install that gnupg would then use, or is Apple the only party

The solution is simple: Try to figure out good sources of random on
the Mac. I'd start with EGD and analyze the output of the commands it
uses to gather random; I guess that a lot of commands will just fail.
And read at least Peter's paper.