Expiry bug (can convert v3 key to current?)

Kurt Fitzner kurt-fitzner@home.com
Wed Jun 27 13:30:01 2001

I've notived a bug, at least I think it's a bug, in gpg 1.06.  I imported an
RSA key generated in PGP.  Upon editing the key, I tried to change the expiry
date (trying to follow the FAQ directions for modifying the prefs), and was
promptly told that I cannot modify the expiry date of a v3 key.  This is fine,
but the expiry date does change if you do a 'list'.  It doesn't save when you
quit, but, if before you quit do some other operation (add a UID for
example) that would make the program ask you if you want to save, and you do
save, then the new expiry date is saved in the key.

I'm not sure why expiry dates are not modifiable, unless it simply violates the
protocol.

My real question, though, is whether there any way to convert a v3 key to
current?  I would like to import an RSA key, and also be able to set preferences
and modify the expiry date.

Also, I was wondering why I can generate a 2048 bit signing DSA subkey, but
can't make one as the primary key.

Thanks.

        Kurt Fitzner