GnuPG and PGP2.

Rich rich@cnylug.org
Sun Mar 4 19:27:05 2001

On Sun, 4 Mar 2001 09:45:50 -0800 or Thereabouts
The voices in my head told me that "Jonathan & Shandra Wiebe" <jbwiebe@cnx.net> said:

> > At present, simultaneously encrypting and signing a message with so
> > called "RSA Legacy" keys requires using a pretty complicated
> > workaround method.
> >
> > Is there some fundamental problem in implementing this feature
> > properly or is it just an unadressed issue so far ? Can I expect
> > future releases of GnuPG to improve this functionality ?
>
> The fundamental problem is that PGP 2.x uses the IDEA symetrical
> encryption algorithm. IDEA is under patent until 2007.
>
> The GPL (Gnu Public Licence) prohibits the inclusion of patented
> algorithms or software. Hence IDEA cannot be included in GnuPG until
> the patent expires in 2007.
>
> The same situation existed for RSA keys until August 2000. Prior to
> that the RSA algorithm was patented and was not included in GnuPG.
> After the patent expired the next release of GnuPG included support
> for RSA keys. I expect the same thing to happen with IDEA support
> when the IDEA patent expires in 2007.
For those who aren't aware, GnuPG for linux allows for the loading of external modules like IDEA right now. This feature will be included in version 1.0.5 of GnuPG for windows as well. So for non-commercial usage, the use of the IDEA is allowed and really isn't an issue. Rich... ________________________________________ The Central New York Linux User Group Now with one of them web page thingies! www.cnylug.org <-> rich@XXXcnylug.org