gpg for OS/2

David Champion dgc@uchicago.edu
Wed May 23 15:30:01 2001

On 2001.05.23, in <20010523123638.E6540@alberti.gnupg.de>,
	"Werner Koch" <wk@gnupg.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 May 2001, Timo Maier wrote:
>
> > On gnupg.org I read, that gnupg compiles for OS/2. Where can I get the
> > binaries?
>
> I don't know, sorry. There used to be a port of it but Afaik, there
> was no solution for good random numbers; which makes it unusable.
This seems to be a common thought, but it's a bit misleading. Even without a good source of random numbers, a GnuPG port would still be useful for decoding messages encrypted elsewhere, and verifying signatures using keys generated elsewhere. (I also don't agree that poor encryption is worse than no encryption. The "false sense of security" argument is common, but it's only a false sense of security if you're fooled. Low security is still better than none, so long as you understand exactly how good it isn't, and you know whether that's sufficient to your purpose.) I don't mean to downplay the value of good random numbers -- just to say that not having numbers that are entropic above some arbitrary threshold is no reason to lay all your cards on the table. I also don't mean to pick on Werner in particular, it just seemed like a particularly inviting moment. :) -- -D. dgc@uchicago.edu NSIT University of Chicago