Frontends for Windows

Andrew McDonald andrew@mcdonald.org.uk
Sun Nov 18 17:46:02 2001

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 06:04:42PM +0159, Silviu Cojocaru wrote:

> Sunday, November 18, 2001 at 6:03:55 PM ,
> Florian Weimer wrote the following
> on the "Frontends for Windows" thread:
>
> FW> Why does it make good sense?  Releasing crypto software without source
> FW> code never makes sense.
>
> GPGShell is *not* crypto software, it does no encrypting, it's
> a *front end* for gpg.

I've never used GPGShell, but looking at the screenshot there is a
'Clear Passphrase' option. This suggests (as I would expect from a
GnuPG frontend) that you type the passphrase into GPGShell which then
passes it on to gnupg. This has clear security implications and
security requirements on GPGShell.

--
Andrew McDonald
E-mail: andrew@mcdonald.org.uk