Trust, UIDs, signing & revoking

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Tue Nov 20 18:33:01 2001

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 01:00:53PM +0000, Phil Brooke wrote:
> Suppose I have a key with several UIDs.  I now revoke one of the UIDs
> (suppose that email address is no longer valid).
>=20
> Do the signatures from other people on that revoked UID still count
> towards any trust calculations?  (Assuming that they've only signed that
> UID, and no others.)

They do not count.  Trust is given in a key+UID, so if the UID is
revoked, any trust in that key+UID is effectively revoked as well.

> I'm thinking about the problem where email addresses tend to be rather
> short-lived.  Should a UID with just the name be added for the purpose of
> collecting signatures?

It's not uncommon.  Another way to handle it is to get a "lifetime"
email address - a la acm.org, or pobox.com, which forwards to your
real email address.

David

--=20
-+