security patches

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Sun Oct 7 22:54:02 2001

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 11:08:07PM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Oct 2001 22:39:22 +0200, Florian Weimer said:
>=20
> > With the current development version, you can even strip the local
> > flag without invalidating the signature.
>=20
> Ah yes, it is in the non hashed area. OpenPGP is vague about this.
> Thinking again about this issue and somepossible threat models it
> might make sense to put it into the hashed area.
Yes. Local sigs, and how they are represented in packets are interesting because - in theory - they should never be seen off of a local keyring. That's the whole point of local :) Of course, this is the real world, and it will eventually happen (say, if someone moves entire keyrings around rather than using --export). I agree the subpacket should really be in the hashed area, so the signature can't be tampered with and changed into an exportable signature.