GnuPG Outlook Express plug-in

Rich rich@cnylug.org
Tue Oct 9 20:34:01 2001

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001 09:40:59 -0700
Dale Harris <rodmur@maybe.org> wrote:

>> Have you actually looked up "free" in the dictionary?
>
>So what... "gay" doesn't exactly mean the same thing as it did 40 years
>ago, either. Things change, words are co-opted, get over it, grow up,
>live.
>
>Dale
Actually, with respect to words, things are added, not removed. If a new definition comes along they do not remove an old one, to make room for the new. This is a simple matter, and not even worth discussing. The definition of the word 'free' with respect to Gnu software is very clear. That you do not like it is not relevant. GnuPG is a Gnu program, and sponsors this forum, so you should not complain if there are a few things which can not be discussed here. It's a simple rule and if you were in my home and could not respect my wishes and behave the way I would like you to, then I would ask you to behave, or to leave. You would then have the option of leaving, or modifying your behaviour. The original argument was clearly a flame, and a bad one at that. Graham (a very nice guy by the way) would have us believe that it's not OK to talk about a Gnu GPL'd software release because it is for a non-free OS. In case any of you haven't been paying attention for the last few years, the W32 version of GnuPG is GPL'd, runs on a non-free OS, and is routinely discussed in here, so clearly software releases that fit within those limits are OK. Timo's WinPT and OE plugin fit within those limits so they are also OK. GnuPG-Shell does not, so it's not OK. You are free to start a mailing list to discuss all crypto front ends if you wish. There are many places on the net which will let you do this for free. Perhaps I'll even subscribe to it. This set of rules is so simple and shockingly obvious I'm surprised that anyone would dispute it. I'm also disappointed that someone would unsubscribe from this list because of it. When in someone else's home behave appropriately. Rich... -- "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Ben Franklin 'If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.' --George Orwell "The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum." -- Noam Chomsky