Dutch Government wants to regulate strong cryptography

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 10 21:24:02 2001

Remco wrote:

> yep, also have a look at http://www.security.nl/artikel.php3?id=2414
> (article on the same subject in Dutch)
Ach, wel, you know (should know) how this will go here. A lot shouting from politicians who want to get some airtime, and then it's over. And even if it became law, noone would enforce it.
> What would this mean for GPG, the use of GPG and the implementation of GPG?
If they only make laws about nTTP's (not-Trusted Third Parties) none.
> Is there such a thing as a 'backdoor' in GPG?
Of course not. Check the source if you don't believe me.
> What encryption methodes do the TTP's use
Probably the same as pgp/gpg also uses.
There are several methods for that. The most straightforward one would be to use an ADK. -- ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site: johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html PGP/GPG public keys at http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/pgpkeys.html