discussion on increasing amount of gpg signatures...

Florian Weimer fw@deneb.enyo.de
Sun Oct 14 13:26:01 2001

Douglas Elznic <dfe@anize.org> writes:

>> IIRC, the most obvious challenge-response protocol (and the most
>> sensible one) for certifying keys has been patented, and I don't know
>> if the extension to cover (multiple) email addresses is enough to
>> bypass this patent. (Just in case if you want to do this more
>> regularly.)

> What is the patented challenge response protocol?
I'm unable to find it right now. There are quite a few US and Japanese patents on a split registration/certification process, but I didn't find the patent I was looking for. (There might exist prior art for the more complicated protocols, however. Unfortunately, Sebastian Korff's diploma thesis at the University of Stuttgart was a bit too late, at least I think so. :-/) However, someone should look at US Patent 6,134,550. GnuPG's new trust database might infringe on it.