Problem exporting secret keys

Dave Chapeskie gnupg@ddm.wox.org
Tue Oct 23 17:36:02 2001

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 08:05:03AM -0700, Ivan Herhandez wrote:

> ./gpg -a --export-secret-keys my_name
>
> it says:
>
> gpg: my_name: user not found: secret key not available
> gpg: WARNING: nothing exported
It can't find the key on your secret ring with the information you've used (my_name). Possible reasons include a) typo in {my_name} b) you don't have the secret key c) the --secret-keyring option is set wrong. I'd recommend doing "gpg --list-secret-keys", that will verify that GnuPG is finding the secret keyring. I'd then use the appropriate keyid from that list as the argument to --export-secret-keys. I find it best to specify keys by keyid for such commands to avoid possible issues with non-unique user names (I have a couple older keys with the same e-mail address and name). Alternatively you can use --export-secret-keys without arguments to export the entire secret keyring. -- Dave Chapeskie OpenPGP Key KeyId: 3D2B6B34