FORGOT PASSPHASE

Ryan Malayter rmalayter@bai.org
Wed Oct 24 16:41:01 2001

Even if you only used the 32 lower case letters, and your passphrase was
really a random 36-character string, then you're talking about 160+ bits of
entropy. That makes the key is completely unrecoverable, even using billions
of years and every (conventional) computing machine on earth. A
general-purpose quantum computer might theoretically be able to crack it in
a short time frame, but such a device has not yet been publicly announced -
maybe the NSA has one.

If your passphrase is 36 characters long and made up of dictionary words
separated by spaces, well, that makes a brute force attack a lot easier -
but certainly not *easy.* 50,000 english words at 5 characters (average)
apiece, separated with spaces... That makes 5 English words in the
passphrase. That's still 80+ bits of entropy. Distributed.net has been
trying to brute force a 64-bit password for 3+ years using the equivalent of
250,000+ Pentium 300s. And distributed.net is only a bit more than halfway
done.

Unless your original passphrase was quite short, a brute force attack is
probably not feasible. If you consider a passphrase using only the 96
"typable" characters on a standard PC keyboard, any passphrase longer than 7
characters (96^7 ~ 2^46, or a 46-bit passphrase) is probably not crackable
using a the computing resources available to an individual.

If you were careless enough to make your passphrase was a single dictionary
word, it can probably be cracked in minutes, if not seconds, by simply
trying every word in a dictionary.

Regards,

:::Ryan Malayter, MCSE
:::Bank Administration Institute