restoring a key

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Thu Oct 25 20:55:02 2001

--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 07:33:11PM +0200, disastry@saiknes.lv wrote:

> David Shaw wrote:
> > > I doub't it is even possible (I have not tested however).
> > > RFC probably allows multiple subkey binding signatures (I'm not sure),
> > > but gpg does not handle 'em well.
> >=20
> > It is possible, the RFC does allow it,
> ok
>=20
> > and gpg handles it just fine.
>=20
> no it does not.
>=20
> for example get my key from keyserver and import it into gpg - only one
> subkey will be imported, but the key have 2 ones.
> that's because keyserver have somehow copied binding sig from one subkey =
to other
> and now that subkey have two sigs - one valid other not.

That's a different problem.  If you extend the expiration date of a
subkey, you create an additional *valid* binding signature.  Thus, you
have two valid binding signatures.  As I said, gpg handles this just
fine.  Remember, I am actively using this feature every day, so you
can believe me when I tell you that it works :)

I just pulled your key from a keyserver and it looks like this:

     pubkey
     userid
     (sigs)
     userid
     (sigs)
     userid
     (sigs)
     public subkey 1
     public subkey 2
     (binding sig for 1)
    =20
You have two subkeys and one binding signature, and the binding
signature is attached to the wrong subkey.  Just for the hell of it, I
rearranged the packets so that the binding sig was in the right place
and the key was happy again.  There was no binding signature for
subkey 2.

David

--=20
-+