GnuPG from WEBSITE

Ryan Malayter rmalayter@bai.org
Mon Oct 29 16:21:01 2001

Hmm... The "wscript.shell" process runs in the context of IWAM_MACHINENAME,
which has very limited privliges by default. Assuming the administrator
trusts the web developer to wite and manage ASP scripts, why wouldn't he
trust the developer to run shell code with the lowered privliges of
IWAM_MACHINENAME?

It would seem the only attacks immediately available would be
privlige-elevation exploits by the developer, which isn't much of a threat
at all. Security breaches which would allow an outside attacker to replace
the server's ASP code with malicious pages are certainly a risk, but I don't
think wscript.shell access from ASP makes these attacks easier or more
dangerous.

Do you propose that access to the FileSysem object be disallowed in ASP
pages as well?

I don't think using CGI POST or GET calls to access the CGI executable isn't
any more secure than using "wscript.shell". It seems "wscript.shell" access
is actually less dangerous, since an atttacker cannot access the EXE through
a HTTP post call or manipulate the EXE parameters as easliy as when
something is thrown directly into a cgi-bin directory.

Could you elaborate on what you feel is so dangerous about the configuration
I detailed for George?

Regards,
	Ryan