GPL command-line shred alternative for Windows

Ryan Malayter rmalayter@bai.org
Wed Oct 31 08:37:02 2001

I've just posted an early beta of a GPLd command-line Windows alternative to
GNU's shred. I developed it to use in a hosted NT web server environment, as
it's small and quick, and installs with a single file copy.

Frequently, web site developers with machines hosted off-site (like myself)
want to use GNUpg for enryption, but also want to ensure secure deletion of
plaintext files (similar to the old PGP -w command line switch). Such
developers often don't have GUI access or enough permissions to install and
schedule a more complex wiping package like Sami Tolvanen's cool Eraser. So
gshred was born.

Check out gshred at:
http://thecolonel2.tripod.com/gshred.html

It's very quick-and dirty now, but I tested the limited functionality fairly
throroughly and it seemed stable enough for me to put it into production on
our site. If you notice any bugs, or contribute something to the code,
please let me know via e-mail.