DSA/ElGamal key not usable by PGP v7 (imports but won't encrypt)

Steve Butler sbutler@fchn.com
Wed Oct 31 22:08:01 2001

My apologies if this has a documented solution.  I pulled down this entire
archive and found some notes but not enough for me to figure out a solution.

We generated a new DSA/ElGamal key (2048 bits).  One group that is
attempting to encrypt data to send to us is unable to use the new public
key.  They have PGP v7.  It attempts to encrypt but then blows up.  Their
PGP support claims they don't support interaction with OpenPG.

I've seen the notes about Type 16 versus Type 20 ElGamal.  However, I'm
unable to determine which type we have and how to change it to the other
type (without invalidating our public keys for all the other folks).

pub  1024D
sub  2048g

and

sec  1024D
ssb  2048g

--Steve Butler

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.