Port # of the keyserver

Florian Weimer fw@deneb.enyo.de
Mon Sep 3 21:36:01 2001

Nick Andriash <andriash@telus.net> writes:

[LDAP key servers]

> Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Any reason *why* they are not supported?
The complexity of typical LDAP client libraries suggests that you shouldn't link them with cryptographic applications such as GnuPG. In addition, there doesn't seem to be any consensus on storing keys in directories. I think PGP uses a fixed path for LDAP queries which excludes any meaningful applications.
> They seem to offer more for the User than the HTTP Servers.
A web browser, suitable MIME types, and a small helper program can achieve much the same, with even greater flexibility. Don't get me wrong: Storing keys in directories makes sense, but after the LDAP assault on DAP, directories have lost quite a bit of their potential.