Quality of PRNGD

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Thu Sep 13 17:38:01 2001

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001 09:20:46 -0400, Gordon Worley said:

> Okay, but, if I understand correctly, EGD is also a PRNG, or maybe
> I'm missing something? And, yes, from what I can tell EGD blocking
It is more of a RNG. IIRC, Peter Gutmann coined the term CSPRNG (Continuously Seeded Pseudo Random Number Generator) for such a device
> Put, putting my misuse of terminology aside, I guess what you're
> saying is that EGD is better suited for use with GnuPG than PRNGD is,
I have not a lot of experience with EGD because I use only OSes which provide a /dev/random device - which clearly is a better solution than a daemon trying to do the same. Werner -- Werner Koch Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur g10 Code GmbH et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est. Privacy Solutions -- Augustinus