[Fw: [OT] Content-Disposition: inline?]

David K. Trudgett dkt@registriesltd.com.au
Fri Sep 14 02:24:01 2001

--5I6of5zJg18YgZEa

On Thursday 2001-09-13 at 12:27:53 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> > I send my mail with Mutt and I always sign it with GnuPG. That
> > results in the message going out as two (or more) parts -- the
> > message, and the signature. Both have a 'Content-Disposition:
> > inline' header, which I take it means that the MUA is supposed to
> > display the attachment inline, since both are of type text/plain. =20
>=20
> That's funny... I use Mutt (1.3.20 currently) with gpg (1.0.6
> with ldap patch currently) and I never have signed messages come
> out as multipart Mime. I get one part and it's signed inline.
> Mutt sends it and recognizes it. Do your messages go out as Mime
> when not signed? (Mine do not, so that maybe why I don't see this
> effect).
Mine also uses PGP/MIME. I thought it was the default setting (but I am currently using PGP 2.6.3i until I make the switch to GnuPG). I will still be keeping 2.6.3 as a backup, though.
>=20
> Do you need to use Mime? Is there any problem with using
> clearsign signatures on the message itself?
Clearsigned messages are deprecated and for good reasons. They are not reliable (they often don't work). It is often not possible to verify a clearsigned message, simply because small changes have occurred to the message en route to destination (MUAs or MTAs often change line breaks, for instance, so if you accidentally make one single line longer than an MUA or an MTA's max line length, your signature will be invalidated). There are also problems with particular types of text files, like diffs, I believe.=20 If you can't verify a signature reliably, it is nearly a pointless exercise to sign in the first place.