Configuring GNUPG 1.06 in RedHat 7.1

Lee Evans lee@vital.co.uk
Sat Sep 15 11:32:01 2001

Looks to me like either 1) your PATH env var is messed up 2) you are missing
development packages.

First thing to do, see if you actually have the things - you can check for
the rpm's with 'rpm -qa|grep gcc' to see if you have gcc (GNU cc). If you do
(which I doubt), then your PATH is messed. If you don't, you need to install
some of the development tools. I think this is the most likely problem, as
it's highly likely the default workstation install doesn't include any
development tools. You could also try something like 'locate make' to see if
you have any of the make tools - again, you probably don't, but if you do
that command will tell you where the binaries (executables) are.

If you do have the packages, then there is something wrong with your PATH.
This is basically a list of directories, stored as an environment variable.
Whenever you try to run something, it will check in these directories for
the binary. To check your PATH, do 'echo $PATH'. To add directorires to it,
you can either run 'export PATH=$PATH:/new/directory' (which will only be
temporary), or find the file in which your PATH is specified. This is read
in when you log in, so the changes will affect all your future sessions.
It's probably something like /etc/profile, ~/.bashrc or something like
that - if you can't find it, you can probably get away with tacking the
previous command onto the end of your ~/.bashrc.

Regards
Lee Evans