GUI Keyring editor/Performance of --list-keys

Sascha Lüdecke sascha@meta-x.de
Fri Sep 21 18:17:01 2001

--=-=-=

Hi there!

I gladly use gnupg and recently installed seahorse and gpa to compare
them.  Most useful thing to me is the keyring-editor.  On startup and
after certain operations, both programs reread the whole keyring
(seems to be --list-keys --verbose).

This process takes a lot of time and makes work quite a pain.  Can the
speed of the keyring listings be improved?  I suspect it's the
signature listing with the --list-keys command, which performs on my
Athlon 1.1GHz and a keyring of 207 keys and 2039 sigs as follows:

$ time gpg --list-keys

real    0m1.578s
user    0m1.170s
sys     0m0.060s

$ time gpg --list-keys --verbose

real    0m19.954s
user    0m15.350s
sys     0m1.790s

Many keys have a lot of signatures which seem to take the most time
(esp the ones with user id not found).  The --fast-list-mode is quite
good at dumping the keylist, it it slightly slower than --list-keys.

Regards,
Sascha

gpg (GnuPG) 1.0.6
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

Home: ~/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, RIJNDAEL, RIJNDAEL192, RIJNDAEL256, TWOFISH
Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA, ELG

=2D-=20
We are Mimbari of Borg. We let you assimliate us and won't say why.

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--