HowTo?: 2048 bits DES key in GnuPG 1.0.6 ?

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Mon Sep 24 15:26:02 2001

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 13:59:56 +0200, Marek Schneider said:

> Due to http://www.cyber-rights.org/interception/stoa/ic2kreport.htm
> the N^S^A is able to break 1024 bits and longer DES keys ...
Nonsense. DES is a 56 bit cipher. Because this is too short, DES is only used in one of it's Triple-DES variant, which has an effectiv key length of up to 112 bits. There is no indication that anyone is able to break a 112 bit key. The 1024 bit is probably an asymmetric cipher (like RSA) which you can't compare with a symmetric cipher (like 3-DES or AES). It is quite some time ago that I read the ICC 2000 report, but I can't remember that they say that the NSA is able to break 1024 bit RSA. Currently we even can't think on how to do this - unless someone comes up with a very new factoring algorithm, but in this case you can't be sure whether RSA would be safe at all. Even a 768 bit RSA key is currently no breakable. Ciao, Werner -- Werner Koch Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur g10 Code GmbH et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est. Privacy Solutions -- Augustinus