Mutt/GnuPG doc initial release

Gordon Worley redbird@rbisland.cx
Mon Sep 24 17:17:01 2001

At 4:00 PM +0100 9/24/01, Mark Brown wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 09:45:25AM -0400, Gordon Worley wrote:
>
>> It works in Eudora, but it's annoying. I have to get your key and
>> let PGP go through trying to verify the message in Eudora in order to
>> read it; I can't read *PGP/MIME stuff without it having gone through
>> this. As you might imagine, I'm not too excited about putting the
>> key of every little person that posts to the list in this way, so
>> unless you post a lot, and I mean a lot, I don't have your key and
>> just skip your messages.
>
>What does it do if it doesn't have (and can't obtain) the key? With
>mutt if signature verification fails for some reason (such as a missing
>key) all that happens is that an error message is displayed along with
>the verification attempt. If you don't have the key then gpg can be
>configured to either just fail or try to get the key from the
>keyservers.
It will display the message with an error message like key could not be verified or something like that if it can't find the key in your keyring or on a keyserver. The main problem is that if the key can't be found, I have to wait a couple minutes to see the message while it tries to find the key. I just don't have the time for all the extra time that each PGP/MIME message entails. I have no idea if it's the same in other mail clients, but here on OS X things should be much better in a couple months once we have clients using GPGME.framework. -- Gordon Worley `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty http://www.rbisland.cx/ said, `it means just what I choose redbird@rbisland.cx it to mean--neither more nor less.' PGP: 0xBBD3B003 --Lewis Carroll