Mutt/GnuPG doc initial release

Gordon Worley redbird@rbisland.cx
Tue Sep 25 15:12:01 2001

At 8:58 AM -0400 9/25/01, Anthony E. Greene wrote:

>Signing *all* messages establishes a consistent pattern. If the one
>message that is not signed also contains content that is not consistent
>with the purported author's normal pattern, the argument that it's a
>forgery becomes much more credible.
Correct, and all my friends know this (on a rare occasion if I fail to sign a message for some reason they've picked up the phone and called me to make sure that the message was from me and to send it again, signed, just to be sure). On a list, though, much as you'd like to think otherwise, only a handful of people are well known and a message that is out of line for them will look forged. Otherwise, no one cares if a message is from you are not, we're just interested in your ideas, not you. Even when sending in code for people to use, I would certainly hope they actually read the code before doing anything with it (like the recently posted procmail stuff), so signing probably doesn't do much good even there. -- Gordon Worley `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty http://www.rbisland.cx/ said, `it means just what I choose redbird@rbisland.cx it to mean--neither more nor less.' PGP: 0xBBD3B003 --Lewis Carroll