GnuPG Manual and Digital Signatures

Todd A. Jacobs nospam@codegnome.org
Fri Sep 28 02:14:02 2001

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, David Shaw wrote:

> So, you can expire the master key (which in effect expires the whole
> shebang), but there is a cost. There is effectively no cost in
> expiring subkeys, whether they are encryption or signing subkeys.
That makes sense, and I agree with it. But the manual presents it as somehow having a longer cryptographically-secure useful lifetime. If there's no evidence that the signing key is somehow less vulnerable to attack, I just think the manual ought to be clearer about the useful lifetime of the master signing key. -- Work: It's not just a job, it's an indenture.