Integrated GnuPG use with MS Outlook

Peter Hutnick peter-lists@hutnick.com
Sat Apr 13 09:46:01 2002

On Saturday 13 April 2002 12:56 am, Anthony E. Greene wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-04-13 at 02:03, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a way to use GnuPG with MS Outlook?  The only thing I
> > could find is the G DATA GnuPG-Plugin.  The download link at
> > http://www3.gdata.de/gpg/ doesn't go anywhere.
> >
> > Can anyone vouch for this thing?
> >
> > Better yet, is there an option out there that I missed?
>
> You could use WinPT. It sits in the system tray and allows you to
> perform GPG actions on the current window or the clipboard. That's not
> as integrated as a plugin, but it works.

Okay, here's the thing . . .

My Dad uses Outlook (I use KMail :-P  ) and he /has/ to use Outlook or the
world will end or something.

I'm familiar with WinPT, and it is definitely something.  But Dad, bless him,
needs stuff to be real simple.  All that cutting and pasting; we'd have to
break down and put him in the home.

It's funny, he's actually made his living in the computer field for 30+ years
(He worked on an automated payroll system in Viet Nam!) but you put him in
front of windows and he is a gibbering idiot.

But then, can you blame him?

In spite of this he continues to believe that windows is the One True business
OS.

Soooo, I'm fighting the good fight on the windows front, but I have to pick my
battles.  I want him off of windows, but I /need/ him on PGP.

It looks like PGPi freeware will do the trick, but I'd rather push Free
Software.

(BTW, are Good Works required for Sainthood in the Church of EMACS?  I /think/
I am pure, now that I have the accursed Pico off my system!  The greatest
trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that Pine and Pico are
Free Software!  Thank God for GNU nano!)

Still looking for suggestions.

Thanks Again,
Peter