using the same key from PGP and GPG

Vincent von Kaenel Vincent von Kaenel <vincent@von-kaenel.com>
Fri Apr 26 04:22:01 2002

Hello,

I have  2 computers, one Linux server and on Window PC. I would like to
share the same encryption key form both platforms. On the Linux box, I'm
using GPG 1.06 and from the PC box, I'm using Eudora with PGP 7.03.

I tried to generate a key from GPG and export it to the PC box and
encrypt/decrypt from both platforms. It appears that the PGP version cannot
decrypt a message encrypted from the  box. I got an error "Bad
packet" on the PGP version.

I tried different version of the export command, including changing the

 gpg -a --s2k-cipher-algo 3des --compress-algo 1 --rfc1991
--export-secret-keys

proposed in the FAQ of GNUPG. It did not work, I still get the bad packet
error.

I did also the other way experiment, meaning generating keys on the pgp
box and exporting them to the GNUPG box and that seemed to work just fine.

Since I'm more confident in the open source software than in the PGP
version, I would really like to be able to generate my keys with GNUPG and
exporting both the private and public keys to the PC.

Does someone has a solution to this issue?

Regards

Vincent

Vincent von Kaenel