using the same key from PGP and GPG

Leigh S. Jones kr6x@kr6x.com
Fri Apr 26 07:27:01 2002

I don't seem to be having any trouble exporting keys from gpg 1.06
to PGP 7.03.  I think I blundered into setting up the gpg "options"
file
with a set of choices that allow me to export my keys -- both secret
and public -- from one to the other (either direction) and
encrypt/decrypt either direction and sign/verify either direction.

Admittedly, I've limited my testing to methods that I actually intend
using.  I do not "sign", I "clearsign".  I do not "encrypt", I
"encrypt
ASCII-armored".  I export my keys as ASCII-armored files.  This
does not mean that the other methods, just that I haven't tested
the other methods.

And, the substantial majority of my testing has been done using
Windows NT.  This has all been tested on a Sun system with
Solaris, on An HP system running HPUX, on a Cygwin bash
shell, on Linux, and on Windows 2000 as well, but generally
only a few tests were performed on each platform.  The
majority of the testing effort done was intended to verify that
the keyring files from one platform could be used on the other
platforms with simple replacement of files, and that text files
that have been clearsigned using gpg could be verified on PGP
7.03 under Windows NT.

Throughout the effort (which was necessary for a project at
my work) the only problem uncovered was difficulty
accessing keyservers using 1.0.6 Win32 binary versions,
and this problem was not important to the project.

A few tiny oddities were revealed:

Relating to the use of WinPT to view key properties, when
the keys exported from PGP included a photograph,
often the photograph title would apparently be taken by
WinPT to be a user ID.

But I'm presently enjoying the use of WinPT, and I'll
probably make the move to gpg.exe and WinPT.exe
complete with the deletion of PGP from my systems
soon.  The gpg/WinPT combination of software has
some limitations -- primarily that the level of integration
of PGP with e-mail tools like Outlook and Outlook
Express is very good and gpg doesn't quite meet this
standard -- but I generally prefer signing/verifying or
encrypting/decrypting the clipboard rather than in a
buffer within the e-mail tool.  This is probably a poor
practice when you're connected to a large windows
network because windows has features aimed at pulling
data off of the clipboard on one system and putting it
on another system, and I'm not quite convinced that
there isn't a security issue there.  Using a TCP
(forwarded) network eliminates this outside of the
local network because the windows stuff can't be
forwarded.

For me, --openpgp, sha1 hash, and --s2k-cipher-algo
3des, options were all called out in my successful options
file.  Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the good
options file at the moment -- I'll have to put it on the list
tomorrow.  I think I abondoned the RFC1991 and
--force-v3-sigs options as being out of date, and used
CAST symmetric key encryption in PGP.