using the same key from PGP and GPG

Leigh S. Jones, KR6X kr6x@kr6x.com
Fri Apr 26 18:02:01 2002

Here's the promised options file (the one that I've
been using to allow keys and encrypted/signed
data to interoperate with PGP 7.03. Clearly there
are some alternate choices -- you might use
cipher-algo CAST5 in lieu of 3DES, or
s2k-digest-algo MD5 in lieu of SHA1, etc., and
still be able to interoperate with PGP.

compress-algo 1
cipher-algo 3des
s2k-cipher-algo 3des
s2k-digest-algo SHA1
escape-from-lines
lock-once
keyserver http://wwwkeys.us.pgp.net
honor-http-proxy
openpgp
--allow-secret-key-import

These won't work with the earlier versions of PGP
(<= 5), where the --rfc1991 option must be set instead
of openpgp and --force-v3-sigs.  There were really
a lot of different versions of PGP with different
requirements.  There is information on some web
sites I've seen that is helpful with older versions of
PGP, and some information in the gpg distribution
tar file that is also informative.  And, again, you'll
probably need to encrypt to something other than
idea in PGP (unless you're outside of the US where
the American idea patent isn't in effect and have
equipped your gpg with the idea plug-in) -- a good
suggestion would be CAST -- and in windows you'd
set this under <Options>(from the tray menu)
<Advanced>(tab) <Encryption: Preferred
algorithm>.