v4 self-sigs on a v3 key

Brian M. Carlson karlsson@hal-pc.org
Sat Apr 27 20:39:02 2002

--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx

I recently wanted to upgrade my v3 RSA key of 2048 bits (0x560553e7) to have
v4 self-signatures, so that I could set uids primary, have preferences, use
mdc, etc. I originally had openpgp and force-v4-certs in my options file. W=
hen
I tried to edit my key, even with --expert, and found that updpref did not
work (it ignored me), I tried again without openpgp. I finally found that t=
he
only way to update a v3 self-sig to v4 was to delete the self-sig, sign the
uid again (which was then a v4 self-sig), and use updpref. I also found that
any new uids that were created automatically had v4 self-sigs. Is there any
easier way to do this, or am I missing something? If not, could you patch
the (probably minimal) lines of code that do this. I would, but I don't have
the copyright assignment stuff.

BTW, the updated key, for anyone that is interested is on
<ldap://horowitz.surfnet.nl:11370>.

Thanks,
--=20
Brian M. Carlson