[Announce] GnuPG 1.0.7 released

Ricardo SIGNES samael-gnupg@lists.manxome.org
Tue Apr 30 17:14:01 2002

--0vzXIDBeUiKkjNJl

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 12:07:55PM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> The GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG) is GNU's tool for secure communication
> and data storage.  It is a complete and free replacement of PGP and
> can be used to encrypt data and to create digital signatures.  It
> includes an advanced key management facility and is compliant with the
> proposed OpenPGP Internet standard as described in RFC2440.  This new
> release has a lot of features beyond OpenPGP which will be included in
> a soon to be published RFC2440 successor.

First, to echo a previous replier, congratulations!  I am very happy with
GnuPG, and it looks like this version has made huge leaps.

Now... that's also a problem, in my mind, because the difference between 1.=
0.6
and 1.0.5 was chiefly a bugfix.  (There were also some translation changes =
and
a minor keyserver client change.)

What defines a second-order version?  Is the versioning of GnuPG meaningful
other than the apparent odd/even overloading of the middle digit?  I didn't
find any documentation of this on gnupg.org

It's nice to be able to see that a version number has changed significantly=
 and
know, then, that the changes in the software are likewise significant.  Per=
haps
this version should have been 1.2.0? =20

Thanks.

--=20
rjbs

--0vzXIDBeUiKkjNJl