generating a key

Dr. Miratey funk@andatealachucha.cl
Sun Aug 11 05:41:02 2002

I've been using gpg for about two years on the computers at my university (Sun stations). It works
great. Now I have a small machine in my house (a quadra950, a m68k with Debian 3.0r0) and I've just
installed gpg 1.0.7 on it.
The problem is that I can't generate a key. after a gpg --gen-key and filling the necesary info, this
is what I get:

Not enough random bytes available.  Please do some other work to give
the OS a chance to collect more entropy! (Need 219 more bytes)

No matter what I do (I tried to generate the key during a really long compile, and compressing some
really long files) I just can't get enough entropy. What should I do? is it safe to create the key in
another computer (ie: the sun stations i'm used to) and then copy it to my local .gnupg directory?

thanks a lot,
ra.-