generating a key

Peter T. Abplanalp pta@psaconsultants.com
Sun Aug 11 16:25:01 2002

--tvOENZuN7d6HfOWU

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 11:34:55PM -0400, Dr. Miratey wrote:

> No matter what I do (I tried to generate the key during a really
> long compile, and compressing some really long files) I just
> can't get enough entropy. What should I do?

from what i heave read on the list, the best way to get entropy is to
use the keyboard.

> is it safe to create
> the key in another computer (ie: the sun stations i'm used to)
> and then copy it to my local .gnupg directory?

this should be ok, afaik; however, you will also need entropy to
encrypt files as well but i think it is a lot less.  also, you should
make sure that you copy the keyrings over in a somewhat secure
fashion.  you could use scp, or sneaker-net.  lastly, make sure you
remove the keyrings from the sun box.

--=20
Peter Abplanalp

Email:   pta@psaconsultants.com