"secret key not available"

Marco.Frissen@vodafone.nl Marco.Frissen@vodafone.nl
Mon Aug 12 15:00:02 2002

hi all,

since I cannot use PGP here (not able to install due to account limits) I
tried GnuPG.. Looks okay, but when I receive a message, which should be
(note: should be, not 100% sure yet, I'm awaiting answer of the sender)
encrypted using my GPG generated (not PGP imported or anything) public key,
I get the following:

gpg -d -v -v --status-fd 2 -o test.txt <pgptest.txt
gpg: armor: BEGIN PGP MESSAGE
gpg: armor header: Version: PGP 7.0.1
:marker packet:
 50 47 50
:pubkey enc packet: version 3, algo 16, keyid 8412ABE5B14D06A5
        data: [2044 bits]
        data: [2047 bits]
gpg: public key is B14D06A5
[GNUPG:] ENC_TO 8412ABE5B14D06A5 16 0
gpg: loaded digest 2
:encrypted data packet:
        length: 56
gpg: encrypted with ELG-E key, ID B14D06A5
[GNUPG:] NO_SECKEY 8412ABE5B14D06A5
[GNUPG:] BEGIN_DECRYPTION
[GNUPG:] DECRYPTION_FAILED
gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available
[GNUPG:] END_DECRYPTION

It doesn't look like the IDEA problem (I expected to see an explicit warning
for it if it was the case).
Did the sender basically encrypt with the wrong key?
Or is anything else wrong?

thanks!

Marco