can't get passphrase-fd option to work with GnuPG on HPUX when running a scheduled batch

poney poney@promtech.com
Tue Aug 13 18:58:02 2002

Hi, I'm new to the list. Sorry to join just when I need help with a problem,
but goes.

We're trying to use the --passphrase-fd option with GnuPG from a shell script
running through a batch run by scheduling software (ESP) on HPUX11.0 (not a
good idea, I know, but it's what we need). We're using gpg version 1.0.7.
Even though we can get the script to work when run interactively, regardless
of how we use the option (using standard in or with a real file descriptor),
the gpg command is failing when run through the scheduling software with the
following error:

gpp: cannot open /dev/tty: No such device or address

I was assuming this had something to do with the process running the script
not having access to standard in in the same way that the script has when we
run it interactively. I've had the scheduling software su to the correct user
to help set the environment correctly, but it still doesn't work. I'm looking
for suggestions with trouble-shooting the problem.

Not sure if it's related, but I've never been able to successfuly use a real
file descriptor with the --passphrase-fd option on this platform. This works
in a shell script:

gpg --passphrase-fd 0 --decrypt myfile.txt.pgp <<!
mypassphrase
!

But this just prompts me for the passphrase:

gpg --passphrase-fd secretinfo.txt --decrypt myfile.txt.pgp

I've specified the path to the file in a number of ways, to try to ensure it
can find the file, but it still won't work. I've also tried using the option
in with a number of other options (--output, --yes, etc) since I've noticed
that using some options together seems to change the behavior of the gpg
command in unexpexted ways, but I still can't make it work.

Any thoughts on what could be causing the problem, or suggestions about how
to get around it?

Poney Carpenter