Query keyserver with email address [was: invalid armor header]

Anita Lewis ajlewis2@intac.com
Wed Aug 14 00:43:01 2002

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 02:21:26PM -0400, Anthony E. Greene wrote:

> On 13-Aug-2002/12:22 -0400, ajlewis2@intac.com wrote:
> >I read the manual again (instead of the little notes I had) and it said
> >that 'recv-key' required the KEY ID instead of the email address.  I
> >tried the command with the KEY ID (the digits given at the site which I
> >assume is correct) and got that it was an invalid ID. The syntax I used
> >was:
> >
> >gpg --recv-key --keyserver keyserver.net  12345678
>
> You have to include the hexadecimal indicator:
>
>  gpg --recv-key --keyserver search.keyserver.net  0x12345678
>

> Tony

That solves it.  This command imports as well; so I don't get that armor
error.  I noticed that sometimes I need to use small letters to get it to
work - ab12cd34 instead of AB12CD34.  Is that usual?

I assume that if I do not know the Key ID, I must go to the server and check
their email address to find it.  Or is there someway to query the server
with a gpg command using the email address?

Thanks again.  I just read that email I received this morning; so that makes
me happy.

Anita