cannot gen-key

Jordan Capps j_capps@sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 16 05:24:01 2002

This is my first time trying to us GPG, and I'm new to Linux as well, so
pleases bare with me.  I tried to create new keys and recieved the
following error before it attempted to generate them:

gpg: can't open `/home/myusername.gnupg.random_seed': Permission denied

After that, it give me the messages about keeping busy while the keys
are being generated and and starts to generate them, but soon after that
I get the messages:

gpg: /home/myusername/.gnupg/pubring.gpg: can't create keyring:
Permission denied
gpg: keyblock resource file `/home/myusername/.gnupg/pubring.gpg': file
open error
gpg: can add keyblock file `/home/myusername/.gnupg/pubring.gpg'
Key generation failed: file create error
gpg: note: random_seed file not updated

As an added note, even after gpg returned me to the shell prompt, the
process continued to run until I killed it.

I know this is probably a simple problem with my permissions or
something but I'm not sure how the go about fixing it, and any help
would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jordan Capps