Can a private key be copied to another machine?

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Fri Aug 16 16:46:02 2002

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 10:36:33AM -0400, R. Bradley Tilley wrote:
> On a Linux system, simply copy the .gnupg directory from your home directory.
> Be sure to write down the permissions on all the files and the directory
> itself before you copy it. Place the directory onto the new Linux PC using
> the same permissions, and you're ready to go... assuming that gpg is
> installed on both systems.

Yes, that works as well, but it copies everything and replaces your
existing keyrings on that machine.  If you have don't have any keys
you want to keep on the target machine, then this is fine.

David