subkeys

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Wed Aug 21 22:19:08 2002

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 02:56:48PM -0500, David Champion wrote:
> Is it possible to add an existing key as a subkey to another key? Can
> this be done with gpgsplit/cat, if not within gnupg? Or am I missing a
> point? :)

This is possible, but not within GnuPG.  It's a non-trivial
combination of gpgsplit, cat, and running gpg under a debugger to
persuade it to sign the subkey with your primary key.

Going the other way (making a subkey into a primary key) is much
easier.  Just gpgsplit the key, and edit the first byte of the file
that contains the subkey to transform it into a primary key.  Then cat
that file together with a user ID packet (from another run of
gpgsplit), and --import it.  You should sign it as well, but the
regular --edit/sign will do that properly.

David