GPG 1.3.1: Can't import key

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Thu Dec 5 01:00:01 2002

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 11:00:58PM -0000, David Pic=F3n =C1lvarez wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> > None of the above.  That key is an Elgamal signing key.  They're slow=
,
> > and I mean *really* slow.
>=20
>=20
> Not in my machine. It doesn't take more than 5 seconds to do anything.

Your keyring has your self-sigs cached.  Someone importing the key via
--import or a keyserver doesn't.  When using your key, they have to
verify your signature 10 times (once for the self-sig on each user ID,
plus three more times for the three revoked user IDs).  It adds up
fast.  Try using your key with --no-sig-cache set and you'll see what
I mean.

When Michael deleted some of your user IDs, he caused his sig cache to
be updated, which makes things seem faster since GnuPG doesn't have to
verify each signature every time the key is used.

You can do the same thing for a whole keyring at once with
--rebuild-keydb-caches

David

--=20
   David Shaw  |  dshaw@jabberwocky.com  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.co=