AW: newbie problems

Huels, Ralf SCORE Ralf.Huels@schufa.de
Fri Dec 6 09:04:01 2002

> At 21:56 05/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >On Thursday, December 05, 2002 7:44 PM [GMT-0500=EST], Max
> Brandt wrote:
> >
> > > Second problem: When I ask GPGshell to sign a message the
> > > result is an encrypted PGP message,
<...>
> >Instead of selecting Clipboard (or Current Window) "Sign...", select
> >Clipboard (or Current Window) "ClearSign..."
> OK. That works fine.Thanks Adam. But what is the difference
> between "sign" and "encrypt and sign"?

The "encrypted" Message you mention above is probably just
a signed message with ASCII armor. That's just a 8bit-to-7bit
encoding (similar to uuencode or base64) and *not*
cryptographic code. If my guess is correct, "gpg --dearmor"
used on that code should yield readable results.

So the *three* situations you probably have are:
 - clearsigned: readable text with signature
 - signed: as above but with ASCII armor, not human-readable
   but no encryption either.
 - signed & encrypted: signed, encrypted with someone's public
   key and ASCII armored.

I'm just guessing from your posts, as I don't know Eudora.

Tschuess,
Ralf